Lowry Hill, the first neighborhood developed in the Lakes area of Minneapolis, was a ridge of high ground known for generations as “The Devil’s Backbone”. In 1872 this luxury residential neighborhood was created by a partnership lead by streetcar owner Thomas Lowry, who built his own home where the Walker Art Center now stands.
Along the crest of Lowry Hill, winding Mount Curve Avenue was platted with large estate lots attracting Minneapolis’ most prominent families. They built exceptional homes designed by the region’s most renowned architects, in the popular classic architecture styles of the day. These homes established Mount Curve as Minneapolis’ preeminent address.